Skip to Content

Campus Calendaring Work Group Meeting 7/20/2011

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Date and Time: 
July 20, 2011 - 9:00am - 10:00am
Location: 
SAASB 4101WW
Agenda: 

Campus Calendaring Work Group Meeting - 7/20/2011

1. Jamie will report on his efforts to investigate E'Discovery and Data Retention features in Google Apps and MS Office 365 in an effort to inform those on campus responsible for these areas.

2. Jamie will report on his discussion with Tom Putnam regarding next steps (if any) related to our inclination for our outsourced solutions.

3. Product "Walk Throughs" - Each product evaluation group will "walk through" what that product would/should look like if implemented at UCSB.  The Local MS Exchange Group and the Zimbra Group will each present their "Walk Through".

4. Input from "functional users" - We'll, once again, review the list of names acquired (so far) of functional users to survey for additional input regarding "special" dependencies.

5. Other Items?

Notes: 

Campus Calendaring Work Group
July 20, 2011

Present
Alan Moses
Andy Satomi
Bill Doering
Doug Drury
Jamie Sonsini
Jason Simpson
Kip Bates
Matthew Dunham
Nathan Walter
Polly Bustillos
Randall Ehren
Ted Cabeen
Thomas Howard

Not Present
Bruce Miller
Chris Sneathen
Daniel Lloyd
Jim Woods
Richard Kip

Coordination with E’Discovery and Date Retention Folks
Jamie has gotten in touch with representatives from Google Apps and MS Office 365 and has shared a set of issues/questions created with Meta Clow.  Jamie had already heard back from Google (but hasn’t yet really read through their comments).  He’ll share any significant results with the group; but mostly is focused on being sure that he can serve as a credible liaison between our Work Group and those on campus responsible for e’Discovery and data retention.
 

Outsource Options – Any Action Suggested
Jamie spoke with Tom Putnam and asked for any guidance he may have as to whether he felt that we needed to do anything at this time regarding our inclination towards the two outsourced solutions.  Jamie shared (via email the day before the meeting) a summary of his discussion with Tom:
 

“My impression was that you felt we had established a reasonable and rigorous process, that we would certainly need to explain our reasons for recommending an outsourced solution and that we could do nothing that would avoid with certainty the chance that someone objects to this sort of solution. Given all of this, I believe you are recommending that we simply continue down the path we have been traveling.”
 

Matt suggested that Jamie reach out to UC Santa Cruz (who recently decided to move Faculty & Staff to Google Apps) and see how they handled this situation.  Jamie offered to contact Janine Roth or Mary Doyle.
 

Input from “Functional Users”
Jamie reminded folks that he still needed some suggestions of folks who may know about special dependencies for email or calendaring in the academic or research segments of the campus.
 

General Discussion
As we started the first “Walk Through” report, we ended up with a discussion regarding identity management and the importance of role information.  Specifically, there were questions as to how a campus-wide Active Directory could be/would be provided and how it might fit into the general campus Identity Management architecture (both organizationally and technically).  Clearly, there will be lots more discussion.
 

Locally Hosted Exchange Walk Through
Kip provided a nice “walk through” of the locally hosted MS Exchange option.  He described a couple of options for this service and did a nice job of explaining how this option might look at UCSB.
 

Locally Hosted Zimbra Walk Through
Ted, restricted by the clock, hustled through a good explanation of how the Zimbra option might work for UCSB.  There was some discussion about staffing and what might be needed for such a service.
 

General Discussion
Following the Walk Throughs, we took a straw vote (despite some Work Group members wanting to continue discussion before voting) and it was the result that everyone present would select one of the outsourced options and no one present would select either of the locally sourced options.
 

And finally, we decided that our next three meetings should be 2 hours each (instead of 1 hour) so as to allow for the discussion and debate to come.  Jamie will schedule.

 

7/21/2011