Skip to Content

ITPG Meeting 2010-01-21

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Date and Time: 
January 21, 2010 - 9:00am - 11:00am
Location: 
2536 Phelps
Agenda: 

Administrative Items

  1. Minutes of 11/19/09 meeting posted on 12/10/09

Informational Items

  1. Member Announcements
  2. CIO Report - Tom Putnam
  3. CISO Report - Karl Heins
  4. Subcommittee Reports
    1. Backbone Engineering Group (BEG)
    2. Security Working Group (SEC-WG)
    3. Web Standards and Content Working Group (WSG)
    4. ITPG Communications
    5. Calendaring Interoperability Workgroup
  5. Liaison Reports
    1. Information Technology Board (ITB) – Bruce Miller
    2. Academic Technology Planning Group (ATPG) - Alan Moses
    3. Enterprise Information Systems Planning Group (EISPG) -Deborah Scott
    4. Cyber Infrastructure

Action Items

  1. None

Discussion Items

  1. ITLC E-Mail Outsourcing Project – Matt Dunham
  2. ITPG/IT Collaboration Web Site – Communications Subcommittee

Call for Agenda Items

Notes: 

Present: Jerry Baltes, Jeffrey Barteet, Michael Colee, Saturnino Doctor, Mark Dotson, Ann Dundon, Matthew Dunham, Randall Ehren, Karl Heins, Richard Kip, Elise Meyer, Steve Miley, Bruce Miller, Alan Moses, Tom Putnam, Fuzzy Rogers, Andy Satomi, Glenn Schiferl, Deborah Scott, Jamie Sonsini, Heidi Straub, Chas Thompson, Paul Weakliem, Jim Woods.

Administrative Items

Minutes of the November 19, 2009 ITPG meeting, posted 12/10/09, were approved.

A Summer Solstice event was proposed.

Informational Items

This month's survey question: "What is your favorite new tool (FNT)?"

Communications Services (Bruce Miller): They have updated their document on VoIP. FNT: SQL Workbench/J.

Communications Services/OIT (Ann Dundon): FNT: Drupal.

LSIT (Alan Moses): L&S Instructional Technology Enhancement Initiative fee announcements going out next week, and student meeting, fee will be implemented this quarter after drop deadline. His new favorite tool: a new computer.

Institutional Advancement (Heidi Straub): Everything new, open, and moved to Phelps. Putting in a new network and working with IS&C for desktop and server support. Working with virtual machines, testing Oracle in a non-Oracle virtual environment. Moved donor tracking system from Sybase to Oracle. FNT: moving vans.

Institutional Advancement (Jerry Baltes): Working with virtual environment. FNT: wireless N home network.

SIS&T (Deborah Scott): Getting excited about leveraging social media to contact students, how best to communicate with them post-email, e.g., getting staff iPhones, Droid phones, etc., to eliminate the use of flyers.

Instructional Computing (Matt Dunham & Steve Miley): Looking at capturing Facebook unique id for each student, to develop a Facebook application that will allow students authenticated on Facebook to do stuff. They want to collect the Facebook id as part of the UCSBNetID process. The Facebook id is a 16-digit string in URL. They are also juggling storage off an eight-year-old storage array, and working on email outsourcing. IC is looking at an every other Friday tech meeting to do tech presentations, knowledge sharing next Friday.

Marine Sciences Institute (Jim Woods): Looking at new storage solutions.

Earth Research Institute (Mike Collee): Earth Research Institute (ERI), formerly Crustal Studies and ICESS, is overhauling infrastructure, building everything from the ground up as it merges two units. FNT: App for super Mac mouse, Magic Mouse, to enable middle mouse button.

Instructional Computing (Steve Miley): ): In GauchoSpace land they installed a dell r710 server, with 48GB of memory. Since they are using virtual systems, they turned logical processors off. GauchoSpace is making steady enhancements, with a focus to make it more efficient, e.g., bulk download and upload of assignments. FNT: Requall.com, a reminder service that accepts voice and text inputs.

Computer Science & ECI (Richard Kip): Monitoring, analyzing, and capturing everything he can, investigating VoIP. He’s looking for a new tool: One that can sync his CorporateTime calendar to his Google Calendar without the use of Outlook.

Housing (Saturnino Doctor): Working on merging H&RS and FM workorder systems. FNT: iPhone and Zillow.

Instructional Computing (Mark Dotson): Working on coursefeed type stuff. FNT: Droid wifi analyzer app, also moving into a new house.

CNSI (Paul Weakliem): CNSI and MRL are combining clusters. Big grant out to buy campus cluster – haven't heard yet.

Mathematics (Fuzzy Rogers): Math failed a lot of students last quarter. Fallout enormous, lines of students trying to get add codes to change their grades. Patrick Winmiller took over Pstat system administration.

L&SIT (Chas Thompson): Working on consolidating resources for computer labs and classrooms, creating one-stop help desk for faculty (IC has one for students). FNT: Cam button that turns your entire screen into a button.

MRL (Jeffrey Barteet): He's working on merging the MRL and CNSI HPC centers. FNT: Razor, Windows 7.

ISBER (Randall Ehren): He's working on server consolidation. FNT: Automobile engine error code reader.

EVC's Office/Academic Senate (Andy Satomi): He's consolidating and virtualizing servers. A non-profit support system has now been migrated from Microsoft Exchange to the Google cloud – so now it's all virtual.

IS&C (Jamie Sonsini): He's recruiting for a CNT III in his Windows server group to replace Reza. He received 30 applications. His group helped Institutional Advancement move into Phelps. The North Hall Tenants Association, which includes Bruce, Elise, and Doug, are looking at the project phases, since we'll all be in North Hall both during and after the construction. FNT: GFCI plug that kept a stove problem from going really bad at home. Also one time he was lost outside of Fresno and iPhone got him home.

OIST (Tom Putnam): He's trying to keep up with everything we're doing. FNT: The iPhone app Chordmaster, which allows one to look up an obscure chord and play it.

OIST (Karl Heins): FNT: The downloaded source code for a flight simulator, which includes both a Cessna and an F14.

OIT (Elise Meyer): The submitted RUAC Fee proposal is available online. The first occupants are now in New West Campus. We are using a wireless point-to-point connection to provide data connectivity to campus. In an effort to reduce travel costs this year, UCLA proposed making UCCSC completely virtual this year. However, after consulting with the ambassadors from all of the campuses, they decided to host a hybrid conference: the first day would be in person and the second day would be virtual. Last year only eight people from UCSB participated, so more people may be able to participate in a virtual conference. FNT: Using Google calendar to sycn with her husband's calendar, and using a tool to sync Oracle Calendar to Google Calendar.

Physics (Glenn Schiferl): He's been dealing with hard disk drive, fans, and memory problems on different machines. FNT: Funding his son to play with a DVR.

Final News: EMC has expressed interest in coming to campus and doing a lunch and learn session. Did anyone want to coordinate this? EMC has a new relationship with the State purchasing unit. Umail is an EMC shop via refurbished gear. This brought up a question about whether having a vendor host the lunch at a lunch and learn session was a violation of the UC gift policy. This issue was clarified in an email sent to CSF (doc).

CIO Report
Tom Putnam

ITLC agrees to try a hybrid approach for UCCSC.

North Hall Data Center: This project did not go out to bid in October as planned, but this allowed us to change drawings. The new facility will provide space for high performance clusters for researchers, but there will also be room for administrative and departmental servers as well. The facility will be green, but not LEED certified. It will have a generator, and it currently has new UPS power conditioning and batteries. The project will be funded by indirect return from research. Server racks may be the responsibility of the server owner, but they will need to follow a standard, which will include power distribution and in-rack cooling. The facility will be built out as needed. The intent is that there will be a faculty and research steering committee that will make those decisions. Right now Research Cyber Infrastructure Planning Group doesn't have many faculty, and so the VCR is trying to expand it with more faculty.

ITLC Projects: The group is looking at cloud computing, and questions such as, what does it take for the attorneys to approve cloud computing agreements? There is anxiety that China is targeting dissidents' Gmail. They are also looking at specific cloud computing solutions such as email and calendaring. Some ITLC members have Microsoft Exchange as an integrated solution. UCB is writing an iCal-compatible system. There is disagreement about how big the legal issues are. UCITPS is also looking at legal issues.

The regional colocation facilities project is trying to set up simple ground rules, e.g., how to put a cluster at SDSC. UCD is moving all of their infrastructure to SDSC. SDSC is an efficient center for power and space. Arlene is working on this. We will move a rack down there and set it up. One can do remote power on/off. Hardware support will be provided by SDSC staff, and be paid for by the remote campus. UCSB is running our mainframe, payroll, and student systems at Oakland.

IS&C dropped maintenance on Adabas and Natural for budget reasons. Issues for the Student Information Systems (SIS) project: in three years will have to do upgrades to old infrastructure, which will take several million dollars. So we need to determine what we can we now, especially if it takes 2-3 years to do something. SIS is now working on their plan E. The next milestone for both the SIS and FIS groups is to present preliminary plans at ITB in April. As a datapoint, when 60 miscellaneous applications were moved from MVT to MVS, under a "Ninja" project, it took three years even with unlimited access to IS&C staff.

Changing emphasis on funding models to look at FTE-based funding model. He will put together a steering committee to discuss the new funding model to be proposed. He would appreciate ITPG insight and input.

CISO Report
Karl Heins

Changes in federal and state laws have required creation of an information breach decision tree (pdf). The change is, if the breach includes medical information, then it requires a fast response. Because of agreements between the UC Office of General Counsel and the Federal Government, UCSB falls under an exception, so that our student medical records fall under FERPA rather than HIPAA. This means that if you do not comply you won’t get federal funding, vs if you don't comply we put the discloser in jail. If you become aware of a breach call Karl.

Karl is completing our annual IS-3 assessment. He is looking at controls with respect to SSNs. Audit is going to hire a firm to do a risk assessment of the IT environment, and also look at risk from an overall campus view.

Information security training is being tested, and it will be rolling out pretty soon.

ITPSO is looking to provide guidance with respect to Google and cloud computing.

They have also been involved in a discussion of the letter from UC President Yudof regarding SSNs (pdf).

Subcommittee Reports

Backbone Engineering Group (BEG)

The group is trying to schedule a meeting to: 1) complete their review of the Communications Infrastructure Standards, and 2) to hear the results of Kevin's evaluation of potential 10Gbps core routers.

Security Working Group (SEC-WG)

Andrew Bowers has been evaluating software for data scanning.

Web Standards and Content Working Group (WSG)

They are doing their ongoing review of the Web Guide, plus a privacy statement from Meta.

ITPG Communications

There will be a presentation at the end of the meeting.

Calendaring Interoperability Workgroup

They have gathered a group of volunteers to first discuss how to invite some using a different system, such as CorporateTime, Exchange, Google, and Apple.

Identity Management Subcommittee (IdM)

Their first meeting will be January 27 at 2 p.m. in SAASB 4101WW.

Liaison Reports

Information Technology Board (ITB)
Bruce Miller

They are still looking forward to a presentation by UCLA on their FIS.

PPS UCOP is looking on a project to evaluate to improve the business processes.

Academic Technology Planning Group (ATPG)
Alan Moses

There has been no meeting since the last ITPG meeting.

Enterprise Information Systems Planning Group (EISPG)
Deborah Scott

There has been no meeting since the last ITPG meeting.

Cyber Infrastructure

There has been no meeting since the last ITPG meeting

Action Items

None.

Discussion Items

ITLC E-Mail Outsourcing Project
Matt Dunham

There is a rumor going around campus that the University is going to change the email system to Gmail, and the Associated Students voted that we should "outsource." Here's what is happening at the system-wide level: ITLC is embarking on a project to determine whether we can outsource email and to see if we can gain efficiencies and savings. UCSB's response to an email survey listed 44 FTE involved in providing email.

A system-wide group has been formed to do the cost benefit analysis, and generate an RFI that went out to 12 vendors, which will then result in an RFP. There will be no requirement to use this outsourced email vendor, and there may be more than one vendor selected. Additionally, the offering may also include calendaring, collaboration, and task lists. Hopefully it will come in at a lower cost.

There are a number of campuses that want to outsource staff and faculty, and some also want to do students. Different campuses have different vendor preferences. At UCSB we are trying to get a group going to summarize UCSB's email requirements definitions. We hope to get the group together next week and have a first pass. Commercial email providers are probably able to provide any service that we are. Missing campus-wide components has led to our distributed organization.

The ITLC email group will contract with a third party to manage requirements definitions. The target for our campus is not a central email service, but rather the ability for departments to choose to use a preferred vendor agreement or not. UCB is representing themselves as a vendor for this process. They have CalMail with gigabyte quotas, live replication to LBL, IMAP/SMTP, and bolt-on calendar service. Their calendar is Bedework. UCSC is on board for Bedework.

[NB: There was discussion at this meeting regarding our IdM system and the ability to outsource email and other functions. Elise had subsequent discussions to understand the current situation, which is: 1) the preferred way to support outsourcing is to first implement UC Trust and 2) a request for funds has been submitted to support the UC Trust effort.]

ITPG/IT Collaboration Web Site
Communications Subcommittee

The initial target for this group was that we needed a place to put a lot of things for the ITPG and its subcommittees, and for the CISO's Security Program. There has been some scope creep in this project. Now the goal is to provide more of a roadmap to identify IT departments and an IT services catalog. The site is built using Drupal, which allows you to limit content to group members, authenticated users, or the public. We plan to take a few minutes at each meeting to show people how it can be used. There was a suggestion that we should interface with HR to make the site available to IT new hires. The site provides five main categories: Departments, Services, Committees, Shared Resources, and Projects. Each item under these categories has its own "landing page" which can either link to the provider’s home page, or can provide information on the Drupal site itself. If you have an IT service, please register it and keep the information current.

The subcommittee asked whether the concept appeals to the group or were there any issues. The response was that it looked helpful, and it would be useful to have a calendar of events.

The site is now open for access and comment from on campus. We are developing a "How-to" for the site. Please register any new new committees or groups. We plan to sanitize this before it goes live, but if you want to test it, please put in appropriate and valid content. The official launch will be in a couple of months.

There was a question whether students should or should not be allowed to contribute to shared resources. Also, what about duplicate information that gets out-of-date? The intent is to have the subcommittee shepherd the site, but one still needs to review their part for currency.

Other

On a separate topic, there was the question: "How are departments going to publish course catalogs? General catalog or course catalog?"

AttachmentSize
csf_policy_issue.doc24 KB
breach_decision_tree_v5_2010-01-06.pdf27.54 KB
YudofSSNStatement2_10_10.pdf129.63 KB