Skip to Content

ITPG Meeting 2010-02-18

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Date and Time: 
February 18, 2010 - 9:00am - 11:00am
Location: 
2536 Phelps
Agenda: 

Administrative Items

  1. Minutes of 1/21/10

Informational Items

  1. Member Announcements
  2. CIO Report - Tom Putnam
  3. CISO Report - Karl Heins
  4. Subcommittee Reports
    1. Backbone Engineering Group (BEG)
    2. Security Working Group (SEC-WG)
    3. Web Standards and Content Working Group (WSG)
    4. ITPG Communications
    5. Identity Management Subcommittee (IdM)
    6. Calendaring Interoperability Workgroup
    7. ITLC E-Mail Outsourcing Project Workgroup
  5. Liaison Reports
    1. Information Technology Board (ITB) – Bruce Miller
    2. Academic Technology Planning Group (ATPG) - Alan Moses
    3. Enterprise Information Systems Planning Group (EISPG) -Deborah Scott
    4. Cyber Infrastructure

Action Items

  1. None

Discussion Items

  1. ITPG/IT Collaboration Web Site – Communications Subcommittee

Call for Agenda Items

Notes: 

Minutes of 2010-02-18 ITPG Meeting

Present: John Ajao, Arlene Allen, Jeffrey Barteet, Polly Bustillos, Ted Cabeen, Ken Dean, Saturnino Doctor, Doug Drury, Ann Dundon, Matthew Dunham, Randall Ehren, Kirk Grier, Karl Heins, Tom Lawton, Shea Lovan, Aaron Martin, Elise Meyer, Steve Miley, Bruce Miller, Alan Moses, Tom Putnam, Andy Satomi, Kevin Schmidt, Deborah Scott, Henry Shatavsky, Jarrod Sprague, Heidi Straub, Sherene Strobach, Don Voita, Paul Weakliem, Jim Woods, Larry Zins.

Administrative Items

Minutes of the January 21, 2010 ITPG meeting were not yet available.

Informational Items

This month's survey question: “What you are using for calendaring, both at work and personally?” Of the 32 attendees responding, 15 are using multiple calendars and 17 are using a single calendar. There are 26 people using Oracle Calendar (CorporateTime), 8 using Outlook, 15 using Google Calendar, and 3 using iCal. Two reported dealing with paper calendars at home. Several had Oracle Calendar accounts but didn't use it (and so weren't included in the 26 count). The best calendar anecdote was from Kirk Grier, who puts his phone on vibrate next to his coffee pot and in the morning he determines how much coffee he needs to make depending on how far away it has vibrated from the coffee pot.

Campus Office of Software Licensing (Sherene Strobach): COSL is the place where departments can purchase software for faculty, staff, and graduate students (for research and office work). As a cost-saving measure, one can just purchase a software license and borrow the media to install the software. They have recently added Parallels to their offerings. Endnote is one of the few licenses that is done individually. SAS, SPSS, and Mathematica have annual renewals, which lead to individual contacts for renewal. Contact Sherene to get new licenses for SAS, JMP, etc. JMP is now available through the online order system. There may be software licenses available to UC that we haven't used yet; if you believe that is the case, please contact Sherene. If there is no volume license available, then one needs to get the software on his or her own. The current order system has been up since 7/08 (and the ease of use of the system was a result of SLAC feedback). Our reseller is happy that they only have to deal with one person from UCSB, vs. the multiple departments they have to deal with for other campuses. Sherene participates in the monthly TAS calls. Current discussion is on MCCA and the SAS renewal. Contact Sherene with questions and concerns for TAS. COSL saves several hundred thousand a year.

Communications Services (Bruce Miller): Grappling with what to do with voice services for New West Campus (NWC). Re-evaluating how to deal with emergency phones and testing them. Dealing with budget issues, due to loss of telephone lines.

MATP (Larry Zins): The Media Arts and Technology Program has 40 graduate students who produce art with technology. He's producing content management systems for departments.

SIS&T (Deborah Scott): Working on how Admissions can do outreach to California high school and community college students, and also nationwide and international students, without travel. One example is online advising, which could provide one-on-one, one-to-a-few, and one-to-many training sessions. SI&ST is trying to come up with a toolset for such services before admit letters go out in a month. If the emphasis is going beyond California, than they'll also need online orientation, etc. They are working with Andy Satomi on the online catalog using a Content Management System with the Registrar's website.

Administrative Services IT (Doug Drury): The online Form 5 project is in the initial stages of going live. This would allow online miscellaneous reimbursements for entertainment, memberships, etc.

H&RS (Saturnino Doctor): They are now in the cycle of accepting student housing applications to fill the residence halls, university apartments, and Family Student Housing.

EVC/Academic Senate (Andy Satomi): They are migrating from a vendor system to a homegrown system for faculty case processing. He is also working on the online catalog. He wonders how people feel about MagicJack – the whole issue of telephone service will be discussed a future ITPG meeting (maybe in March).

Instructional Computing (Steve Miley): During the last quarter, 178 feet of paper was printed under their printing cost recovery program. GauchoSpace will be helped out by ITEI resources. They received a total of 750 comments, with 250 from faculty, which will help produce the roadmap for next year. The Waitlist utility is being used more and more; however, there are problems if it isn't used correctly, and it is confusing for the students, since not all classes use it.

Administrative Services IT (Henry Shatavsky): He works on software architecture and is currently working on a system to accept donor gifts.

Library (John Ajao): They are testing an upgrade from version 18 to 20 of the library catalog system. They plan to roll out the new version during spring break. They are constructing a new IT area for the library, and consolidating staff from different library areas.

SIS&T (Tom Lawton): His time has been consumed by video recruitment applications, and how they impact business flow.

Institutional Advancement (Polly Bustillos): They are all moved into Phelps - thanks to IS&C, OIT, & CS. They couldn't make it out of HRC by their deadline without all their help.

OIS&T (Arlene Allen): They're completely consumed with 3 projects: 1) the mainframe move to UCOP, 2) turning off central printing in North Hall and providing electronic .pdf files, and 3) The North Hall Data Center renovation.

OIT (Elise Meyer): We continue to work on bringing up sites in NWC, the first of which are United Boys & Girls Club, and two Housing locations. The team working on an Emergency Blog system will be doing a demo of the system to the campus Emergency Planning Group.

Chemistry (Ted Cabeen): Chemistry is still talking about department wireless.

MRL (Jeffrey Barteet): He's working on consolidating webservers.

OIT (Kevin Schmidt): We have almost completed our evaluation of the possible core router replacements. We continue to look at connectivity issues with NWC, the ESSB bldgs, and AS bike shops.

Earth Research Institute (ERI) (Aaron Martin): They are working on name service management and LDAP.

Kevin commented that they should make sure that their solution is IPv6 compatible. FYI: We already have an IPv6 allocation, and we are routing IPv6 across core, and our name servers are doing IPv6. We are upgrading traffic accounting and monitoring systems to support IPv6. We currently block IPv4 hosts by their IP address, but IPv6 hosts are more difficult to identify or block due to SLAAC (IPv6 stateless autoconfig) addressing and RFC3041 "privacy extensions." Blocking compromised hosts by MAC address may be necessary, but it is tougher to implement across all campus networks. Endhost Addressing end hosts can be done in several ways, such as SLAAC or DHCPv6. DHCPv6 is preferable, but client-side implementations are not widely deployed, nor is router-based DHCPv6 relaying. The current estimated exhaustion of IPv4 addresses is less than 2 years. The expectation is that the final addresses will be preferentially granted to overseas spaces.

L&SIT (Alan Moses): He's in the process of implementing the Instructional Technology Enhancement Initiative (ITEI), which is now being called “Collaborate." It targets 4 areas:

  1. Online tools and materials: which includes GauchoSpace, the Library, Instructional Development. When they run into intellectual property issues for putting materials online, they are able to provide a subject matter librarian to help find material.
  2. Labs: They use IC to manage labs supporting L&S, so they now have a single point for scheduling. Next they will be expanding services.
  3. Classrooms: They are working with Instructional Development, and they have identified 3-5 locations to upgrade display and interaction technology. They are first focusing on general assignment classrooms and then will consider department classrooms.
  4. Advising: They are moving this function to web applications.

Most significant news: This quarter's bill processing ran successfully. They have started recruitment for three career positions: a Moodle application expert, an applications developer for services such as a virtual lab and file repository tool, and a web applications developer to work with Studnet Affairs on academic advising. They are interviewing grad students to provide faculty support. They’ve only received 12 comments so far, mostly from students wondering what the fee is and why they are paying. Any questions about this initiative should be directed to help@collaborate. Statements went out this week. The maximum cost per quarter is $37.50. Graduate students use services, and now are paying the new fee. Their questions are whether their fellowship should be paying for the fee. An email will be sent to faculty soliciting target areas for development for spring courses. Their goal is to have the services fully implemented and documented by fall 2010.

CIO Report – Tom Putnam

North Hall Data Center: Bids will go out by the end of the month. Next up is getting ready to do asbestos abatement in the room.

Enterprise IT Risk Assessment: This assessment is supposed to be done every year, and it provides a list of highly risky activities to direct the internal audit function. An outside auditor is interviewing groups running enterprise systems. Their assessment tool categorizes items using concepts that we wish we were doing. Our reality is that there are many activities that could have a problem with one person getting sick or going on vacation. They are focusing on our payroll, financial information systems, and student information systems. He has suggested that they also include GauchoSpace, but that may not happen.

There is a project sponsored by UC CFOs and CIOs to make sense of PPS. UC operates on 11 different versions of PPS. They have hired an outside firm to determine whether we can arrive at a single set of business processes to allow a single system. The consultants will be coming to each campus to understand campus flow and use of information. The first step is to consolidate requirements, and the next step to get us all running on a single PPS, which may cause change in feeder systems. This project has lots of visibility, and the potential to save money and improve functionality.

ITLC met in person two weeks ago (most of their meetings are monthly conference calls). There was a pretty intense discussion of the legalities and risks of outsourcing to Google for Google apps (gmail, calendar, etc). UCITPS looked at this issue from a policy and security standpoint – are there problems with outsourcing, what are the risks, and can we mitigate them. UCITPS did not endorse a formal position. UC Office of General Counsel looked at this issue from a legality standpoint, and determined there were no show-stoppers, but that doesn't mean there are no risks. ITLC looking at whether we can outsource email. ITLC is broken up into three different priorities: people who just want cheap email and calendaring, people (administrative areas and hospitals) who want more complicated email systems like Exchange, and many campuses that have both needs. Davis, San Diego, and Santa Cruz are ready to put a lot of email on Google ASAP. Some are waiting to see cost savings, some are in the middle.

CISO Report – Karl Heins

The Campus IS-3 survey was completed last month, which also included business recovery planning and training. It was more positive than last year. Based on inventories, some systems eliminated use of SSN, but added some new restricted systems from health center. The UC President came out with a letter about SSN (pdf).

The Enterprise Risk Assessment Group will build on what auditors are doing for the Enterprise IT Risk Assessment, plus the risks identified by other groups, e.g., EH&S, etc. Their goal is to assess all risks faced by the university.

Information security training is just about ready to be available.

UCITPS identified a number of recommendations, and basically said that there weren't any reasons to not outsource. However, they need to determine what is the group process when not everyone agrees.

There was a request to see the campus's latest IS-3 survey report. Copies of the report may be requested by contacting Karl Heins.

Subcommittee Reports

Backbone Engineering Group (BEG)

The group is trying to schedule a meeting to: 1) do final review of the Communications Infrastructure Standards, and 2) to hear the results of Kevin's evaluation of potential 10Gbps core routers.

Security Working Group (SEC-WG)

No news.

Web Standards and Content Working Group (WSG)

They met Tuesday and discussed ways to campus Web operations can save time and money, e.g., multi-site SSL certs, and centrally provided CMS hosting and Web log analysis. They plan to do survey to find out actual need. There are no identified providers for these services. We can't use Google analytics because of ECP violation. There was an initiative to see if Google could make their third-party indemnification clause more liberal. Public Affairs was looking at it.

Group membership has suffered attrition, and they are looking for more participation in meetings. It was recommended that they send note to CSF announcing their next meeting.

There is also an systemwide accessibility committee being formed – Mark Grosch is our representative.

ITPG Communications

Concerning the audience for the it.ucsb.edu website: initially the committee was thinking of just IT people, but end users are going to find this, and will want to know who supports IT in their department. Should the site include a list of all departments and their IT contacts?

The group seeded the site with an initial list of campus-wide IT departments, services, and projects. Thosw who would like to request a new department, service, group, or project area on the site, or update one that is already is already listed, should log in and complete the appropriate request form on the site. If you want to preregister members of your group, include the name, email, or UCSBNetID.

Other points:

  • You can request membership in a group by logging in to the site and clicking the Committees and Groups tab.
  • New content on "how to use this site" has been added and continues to be updated.
  • When you are creating content, you have the option to restrict content to world, ucsb-only, or your group.
  • Group owners can push news to the main site home page.
  • We plan to use RSS feeds to pull news from other sites to this one.
  • You can subscribe to all new content in your groups.
  • A request was made for a project archive.

Identity Management Subcommittee (IdM)

There have been two well-attended meetings filled with vigorous and positive discussion.

There first step is to home in on the details of what the IdM project is, and what needs to be done.

The next meeting is Wednesday, February 24, 2-4 p.m. in the HR training room.

Calendaring Interoperability Workgroup

There were a couple of meetings, and they did the first interoperability workshop where they looked at interoperability issues between Exchange, Google, virtual ical users, and CT. The first step is to expose a calendar to someone outside their system. They found you can export a chunk of your calendar and send it to someone, but you can't just send them free/busy time. There is a web method of posting it, similar to the campus closure calendar, but again that exposes more than you want. Outlook/Exchange can send calendar information in multiple ways. They plan to meet one more time to show how to exchange meeting invitations. Their goal is to create a chart that shows how you can exchange data between systems.

ITLC E-Mail Outsourcing Project Workgroup

The group plans to evaluate market offerings of email outsourcing providers, determine email use on campuses, and provide a report on opportunities. Details available in the forthcoming report.

A major challenge identified in this project is that the group is charged with investigating only email, but modern email services include collaboration tools such as calendaring, task lists, docs, etc.

There are identifiable risks with outsourcing such tools – our group is waiting for a formal report from entire ITPS group. The UC Office of General Counsel position is that each campus will determine its own aversity to the identified risks.

Example risks for the Google service are the nationalization of servers located in foreign countries and reduced archive capabilities for recovery and/or e-discovery. Google has a new apps-for-education agreement that may include provision to restrict data servers to US only. Archival risks can be remediated by using add-on Google Message Discovery (formerly Postini) archival service.

In addition to cost savings, the main driver for mail outsourcing is an integrated collaboration suite and enriched feature set.

UC outsourcing: UC Davis has already outsourced student email and is starting a pilot for faculty and staff next month. UC Santa Cruz is starting a pilot for students, UC San Diego College of Engineering has completed a pilot program and is now migrating its students/staff/faculty.

UCSB email outsourcing discussion: with a few notable exceptions, the group was able to come up with some common baseline requirements, but it is challenging for some to think beyond locally customized features.

Liaison Reports

Information Technology Board (ITB) – Bruce Miller

The ITB met and saw a demonstration of UCLA's financial systems which included their GLO, purchasing, and travel. Their financial system is also based on mainframe technologies, i.e., DB2, Cobol, and CICS. UCLA is undertaking a study to determine the future direction for their systems. The question is whether UCSB should outsource its FIS to them along w/UCM and UCOP. Doug Drury's group is responsible to senior officers for their interest. UCLA has 123 people in their information systems team.

Academic Technology Planning Group (ATPG) – Alan Moses

No meeting plans.

Enterprise Information Systems Planning Group (EISPG) – Deborah Scott

The EISPG will meet this afternoon. Several IS directors are making chart of enterprise systems and stability and risk. The ITB is familiar w/risk to SIS and FIS, but there are other systems that are facing serious risks. They plan to produce a picture to ITB about broader risks.

Cyber Infrastructure

No meeting.

Action Items

None.

Discussion Items

  • ITPG/IT Collaboration Web Site – Communications Subcommittee
AttachmentSize
YudofSSNStatement2_10_10.pdf129.63 KB