Skip to Content

ITPG Meeting Notes 2012-02-16

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Attendees (22):

John Ajao, Arlene Allen, Tiye Baldwin, Polly Bustillos, Doug Drury, Matthew Dunham, Randall Ehren, Kirk Grier, Karl Heins, Richard Kip, Bill Koseluk, Dan Lloyd, Elise Meyer, Alan Moses, Mihir Pendharkar, Tom Putnam, Fuzzy Rogers, Andy Satomi, Glenn Schiferl, Jamie Sonsini, Heidi Straub, Chas Thompson

Administrative Items

  1. The 1/19/2012 Meeting Notes were approved.

Liaison Report - OE/IT Governance - Doug Drury

Yesterday, the OE/IT Governance Subcommittee Chairs made a presentation to the OE Steering Committee.  The topics that they presented included:

1) Define a new IT Governance Structure:

This structure includes the ITB and a new IT Council.  The IT Council would consist of senior IT and business leaders who would be appointed by the ITB.  The IT Council would be a conduit for achieving enterprise level activities and for defining enterprise level approaches.

2) Define the principles and responsibilities for that new structure:

The IT Council would be representative.  Each member was expected to engage their constituents in two-way communications.  The IT Council would replace the existing ATPG, EISPG and ITPG.  However, the draft document notes that there are some existing IT committees that have a valid IT purpose, and should continue to function, but under the direction of the new IT Council.  Examples of such committees are the ITPG and BEG.  Further details should come from the IT Council.  There was a recognition of the role that the ITPG has played, and the expectation that there still needs to be a conduit for ITPG-like activity.

3) Define the scope of enterprise services that should be run by OIST:

They identified what services are enterprise level, and an action item for the new IT Council would be that enterprise activities should be managed at an enterprise level.  They also acknowledge that clustering of services is happening on its own, and their document says that should be encouraged.  As new IT projects arise, the IT Council will recommend where it should be managed, and it could be put in a cluster.

4) Review the Office 365 recommendation and next steps.

The OE/IT committee endorsed Jamie's approach and recommended that he proceed with his Proof of Concept project as a first step.

The OE Steering Committee response seemed positive, and the only feedback received at the presentation was that the document should include the recommended size of the new IT Council.  The OE/IT document is still in Draft, and it will be shared widely once it is further along.

Project Reports - Financial Information System (FiS) - Doug Drury

The proposed FIS plan to move to a Peoplesoft Cloud solution has now been approved at all levels, including the ITB, Academic Senate and Chancellor.  UCOP has also approved the project funding.  The next step is to do an RFI to identify an implementation partner.  UC General Counsel has provided the opinion that a sole source purchase may be used to acquire the software.  Phase I should start by June 2012 and be complete by December 2013.  This phase will include replacement of the Chart of Accounts, General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Enterprise Purchasing.  The latter means to plug the new e-Procurement system into the new FIS.  Phase II will replace the transaction level department tools.  The timing of these phases is to accomodate campus efforts to move to the new E-procurement and UC Path systems.  Berkeley, Davis Medical Center, Riverside and San Francisco already use a Peoplesoft locally hosted solution.  We will be the first UC to use the cloud solution.  UCLA may go in the same direction.

Informational Items

CIO Report - Tom Putnam

Most of the major campus IT initiatives are being reported on by others.

(Details from Doug) The E-procurement project consists of 13 two-three week sprints, and we are currently on sprint 7.  We expect that user acceptance testing will occur by the end of the Fiscal Year.  In parallel there is development of a backend system to handle workflow authorization.  The plan is to roll out E-procurement at the start of the next Fiscal Year.

(Details from Doug) There exists a schedule for a Kronos roll out, either late this Fiscal Year, or early next Fiscal Year.  There are still issues to be resolved with staff support and where the system will live.

The new Student Email Governance Committee has now formed and has met twice.  (Details from Matt) They've discussed the options of Office 365 and Google Apps.  The current student email system is running on hardware that is getting old, so they have an ambitious time schedule for this project.  They'd like to choose the service during the Winter Quarter, do a pilot and collect metrics on that service in the Spring Quarter, and if the pilot is successful then cutover to the new service during the Summer.  Joe Sabado is the chair.

CISO Report - Karl Heins

There are plans to roll out the new IT Security Awareness Training between March and June.  The roll out will target departments that work with sensitive information. UCOP will be funding $50 amazon gift cards as prizes for completion.  This is only a half hour course.

UC Path - Doug, Karl and others are preparing for conference room pilots.  They are at the end of the planning phase, but they are still getting questions on interfaces.  The project is still looking for single service center, and they are looking at locations in Santa Maria, Oakland, Merced and San Diego.

Federated Identity - The InCommon organization is figuring out what infrastructure it needs to accept InCommon Silver applications, for which the first campuses will apply in May or June.  The advantage of InCommon Silver is that a number of government agencies will accept those credentials for logon.

The Privacy & Security Working Group draft is due to come out in the next month.  There shouldn't be any short term changes to our operations.  It focuses on changes to the framework for privacy, and includes a governance model to enforce discussions.  UC Policy on privacy isn't lacking, but rather it's confusing.  For example, the ECP only addresses electronic information.  This whole effort started because there were new laws that conflicted with our old policy, e.g., review logs in healthcare, computer vs. desk privacy.  If you have questions, ask Karl.

Subcommittee Reports

Backbone Engineering Group (BEG) - Glenn Schiferl

A BEG meeting will be scheduled soon to choose new leadership for this subcommittee.

Security Working Group (SEC-WG) – Kevin Schmidt/Karl Heins

They last met on 11/3/2011.

Web Standards and Content Working Group (WSG) - Heidi Straub

They last met on 2/7/2012.  Ann has now completed her term as co-chair.  Tiye Baldwin is just starting her term as the new co-chair.  She is a Senior Programmer Analyst in HR&S.  The WSG is working on updating the best practices in the Web Standards Guide.  They are also planning additional training for this year.  Last year's Social Media Workshop and Mobile Web Brownbag were their most popular sessions.  So they are planning to have new sessions on these same topics this year, with Social Media being covered on 3/23/2012 and the Mobile Web (focusing on the UCLA Mobile Web Framework) on 5/18/2012.  Both are planned to be all day sessions with a lecture/demo session in the morning, and a lab session in the afternoon.

ITPG Communications - Elise Meyer

They are trying to find ways to increase content on it.ucsb.edu to increase its value as an IT resource. There are two new groups: Student Email Governance Subcommittee and a new service for Collaborate Instructional Technology Services. In addition, Ann asks people who post queries to CSF to add their findings to the resource section.

UCCSC 2012 will be at UC Berkeley August 5 - 7. The theme they are considering is Campus Collaboration. To that end, I'll begin work on catalogueing campus training materials.

Keyboard Shortcuts - The Winter edition is being drafted. Topics include: Latest info about identity management, Kronos, Calendaring, TIF, UC Path, NHDC, FIS, and SIS.

Joe McLain is working on another IT Vendor Fair, and it is currently planned for May 18th.

Lynda.com evaluation: Of the 37 evaluators (does not include project team members) currently assigned an account, 22 had completed the pre-evaluation section of the survey, and had logged in to Lynda.com at least once. Eleven had not registered their accounts. This evaluation ends on February 29th.

Piwik Centralized Hosting update, WSG to provide tier 1 & tier 2 support for the service.

Scope of it.ucsb.edu: modify order of items on resources page.  The subcommittee proposes to change their meeting schedule to every other month.

Identity Management Subcommittee (IdM) - Matthew Dunham/Karl Heins

They last met on 11/2/2011.  Additional information is available on their wiki.   The Identity Management Service is working with the SIS access management project which involves a data exchange service.  They are also working on UC trust federation services, and a note is being drafted to go out to CSF.  Service providers may authorize based on either individual or affiliation.  They are looking for service providers that authorize by the individual, i.e., person to person providers.  They plan to start with UC Ready.  This will be a challenge since existing UC Ready users have other uids that will need to be replaced.  Our UC Trust has been working since December, but we are only now getting administrators at UCOP to add our IDs to their access lists.  There is also development on a Delegate Affiliate Handling application that would allow edge providers to add associates on their own.  They plan to implement a change with the load balancer to restrict access from Offcampus sites.  This change is to limit activities used to harvest student e-mail addresses, which are used for various malicious purposes. One will be required to authenticate for those that need off-campus LDAP access — typically email clients doing global address book lookup. An update of our email client configuration instructions will be coming soon.  They plan to implement this change before spring when new students get accounts.  An email was sent out to CSF announcing a new effort targeted at people who still need to use the Identity Migrator.

Campus Calendaring Workgroup - Jamie Sonsini

The ITPG ratified the Campus Calendaring Workgroup Recommendation in October, and then it was presented to the ITB.  The recommendation didn't say who should pay or who should provide the service.   To date the resource and organization questions are still unresolved.  The ITB asked the OE/IT Governance Committee to weigh in on organization issue, with a Proof Of Concept project to be a possible next step.  The recommendation had a campus-wide target for email and calendaring.  A Proof Of Concept project should target a smaller plateau for a Phase I implementation.  A likely subset for Phase I would be those who must do something, i.e., Oracle Calendar users, and one could also include the current OIST email customers.  Implementing a Phase I project for these customers would give us better information for determining what is needed for a sizable population.  It would solve the Oracle Calendar issue, and solve unknown resources issue, and gain cross-calendaring with existing Exchange services. OIST and others are working on a Proof Of Concept project to evaluate what resources would be required for support of a Phase I implementation.   They are looking at the support implications, plus they are including both Jody Kaufman and Eric Sonquist to provide guidance on what the committees would want to know.  The product of the Proof of Concept project will be a white paper, which will suggest a project plan. 

One thing that they've discovered is that Office 365 wants users to log in with token@some-domain, where that is a deliverable email address.  A logical token would be our UCSBnetID, and logical domain would be @ucsb.edu.  The domain ucsb.edu is currently being used by the NOC, for a mailman mailing list server, and for some pilot @ucsb.edu email addresses.  Matt has spoken with Kevin about moving @ucsb.edu to this usage.  The new implementation would include both UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu and First.Last@ucsb.edu as deliverable email addresses.  The Phase I project would not include this change.  Matt will send a note to ITPG to invite people to discuss this use of @ucsb.edu . (NB: On 3/9/2012 Matt send a note to the ITPG mailing list with the following: "Just to recap on this topic, after ~2 weeks I've received no negative responses (or even any requests for continued discussion). The only responses in fact were in the positive, along the lines of "I strongly approve using @ucsb.edu for this new service".)

Liaison Reports

Information Technology Board (ITB) – Richard Kip

They last met on 11/17/2011. (Their next meeting is scheduled for 2/24/2012.)

Enterprise Information Systems Planning Group (EISPG) – Lubo Bojilov

They last met on 11/18/2011.

Academic Technology Planning Group (ATPG) - Alan Moses

They last met on 10/24/2011.

Project Reports - a brief report or location where projects will be located

Technology Infrastructure Fee (TIF) - Tom Putnam

The comment period ended on 1/31/2012, and the TIF proposal was sent to the Income and Recharge Committee.  In passing, Todd Lee said it will take awhile.

North Hall Data Center - Tom Putnam

The NHDC facility is not yet ready to accept customers.  Some electrical testing has been rescheduled.  One UPS needs a battery replacement.  Communication between the UPS and Generator is being refined.  The first racks are in, and Kevin is prototyping the network distribution with Juniper equipment.  They are working on the shutdown signaling.  There are currently 5-6 groups interested in coming into the facility. Some have downloaded the form, though none have been returned yet.  Early in March they may be ready to take gear. There are 18 racks available to distribute the gear.  The facility has capacity for 110 racks. 

(NB: The following represents clarification of the costs for the North Hall Data Center.) The baseline costs for this facility are being covered by the control points. This includes the cost for getting basic electrical and network connectivity to a rack. High density configurations, e.g., blade centers or clusters, that generate a lot of heat may initially be accommodated by distributing them within the facility to balance heat, but any required chilled water doors will need to be covered by the equipment owners.  The facility has been built to support chilled water doors with minimal plumbing required.  Chilled water doors to provide additional cooling is $15K per rack, but the initial door and supporting equipment costs $75K.  They prototyped this technology in SAASB to learn how to use it, and one benefit was getting FM accustomed to it.   The Library is looking at getting blade technology, and will need to discuss this further.  A Cooks tour of the facility is still to be scheduled.

Discussion Items

Member Announcements

LSIT (Alan Moses): Buried in the LSIT Winter 2012 Update is information about providing 31 General Assignment Classrooms with new digital display controls and Campus Wireless by next Fall.  Richard noted that the College of Engineering already was covered by Campus Wireless.