On behalf of UCSB Communication Services, we would like to announce the Campus Telephony Refresh Project, a nine-month project aiming to transform UCSB telephony capabilities by replacing the current legacy phone system with Zoom Phone, a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system. An updated phone system will enhance our campus’ communications in an increasingly mobile world.
Why is our phone system changing?
UCSB operates a traditional landline telephone system supporting over 5,400 lines and 90,400 calls each month. It requires specialized knowledge to operate and maintain, has high annual maintenance costs and capital expenses, and the hardware components are outdated. This antiquated system lacks the flexibility to quickly deploy standard features of modern systems, such as VoIP for remote users, caller identification for incoming calls, and SMS messaging options. Moving to a VoIP system will increase accessibility and portability, and offer higher scalability with lower costs.
New features available with Zoom Phone include:
- Mobile and Desktop applications - A single, unified platform for video, phone, meetings, and chat on Windows, Apple macOS, Apple iOS and Google Android devices.
- Voicemail - Voicemail transcription and notification allows you to manage voice messages from any device.
- SMS - Send and receive SMS messaging from your desktop or mobile client.
- Optional Call Recording - On-demand and full-time recording, transcriptions, and playback allow you to archive and retrieve phone conversations easily.
- Elevate to Meeting - Seamlessly elevate a phone call to a full-feature Zoom Meeting without requiring participants to join manually.
- Shared Line - A delegate can place a call on hold for a manager to visually recognize and retrieve.
- Configurable caller ID - Lets your team customize the displayed phone number when making outbound calls.
How can I stay informed?
As we progress through this accelerated project timeline, we will support departments through the necessary stages. Expect future communications containing important dates, reminders, and training information.
For additional information, please visit the project webpage at it.ucsb.edu/explore-services/campus-telephony-refresh-project. Here you can learn more about the project’s timeline and frequently asked questions (FAQs). For questions, please submit a ticket to the Communication Services CustRel team by clicking here.
Thank you for your cooperation and support in modernizing our campus telephone system.